3. After 4 semesters do you stiill feel passionate? (Ng Shi Qi 1001542350)

PASSIONATE AFTER 4 SEMESTER WITH SLEEPLESS NIGHT IN ARCHITECTURE?

TO ME, YES FOR SURE!



I'm not sure about others but I do know semester 4 does help me a lot! Last semester, I'm kinda lost. I have been asking myself why I am here? Because I wanna earn a lot of money?

 But, semester 4 has helped me to clean my mind. As the theory of architecture allow me to know more about the principle, the guideline of the architecture. The first week of this semester, I was looking articles with an empty mind, seriously. I was thinking what is this, why was I reading it, why I need to read it. so I was just trying to finish the articles pass by my lecturer as a "homework'. But after few weeks, I realized I'm wrong, truly wrong! As my lecturer said to us we are spoon feed kid! we only take when someone feeds us. The design studio 4 comments might harsh for us as we have to keep developing, as we keep failing when I saw others are getting a good comment I felt sad and depressed and negative mind start surrounded me. I was in an enclose negative space. The structure class, unknow formula keep attacking me and I can't even know which formula for what.

But then I realized I have passed through 3 semesters and why I was thinking like this. And then I think about others. When we failed we stop and climb up and continue our journey. It's not like we will succeed all the way without falling. We learned from our failure. we analyze the failure and improve it. I always worry to develop the concept for every sem as they said there's no right and wrong. But when your concept, idea being shut down by others. It's not about right or wrong it's about being accepted by the people or not which relate to the way we present it.

But then I found a way to improve it as I keep testing for 4 semesters. I won't be saying that it will be totally correct but we relate everything to a site, culture... The more I study, analysis the more I passion about an architect. It not about shallow meaning. It's not about the outstanding form of the building! It's not about how much you understand the construction. It's not about how great your sketch is it. Of course, those come under architect.

To me, architecture is not a simple subject or career. We have to invest the site, analysis site context, knowing the human activity, the culture the most suitable material, maintenance, and expression of the building relate to genius loci of a site etc. It takes time. They need an idea to develop. The developing process is always the most crucial part. It is the process we make the ideas become 3d.

We always pass through with sleepness night with coffee, music etc just to finish our works. The effort after it always makes me happy about and I glad that I insist on. I still remembered few of my friends quit architecture because they can't handle the pressure, the stress, the sleepless night. But I'm glad I'm still here and I found more and more of passion in it.

One of my ways is to make sure you do what you like! Develop the building into something you like with related and strong reasons. Convince them! For me, I like all of my projects from semester 1 till now although they have a lot of failures and unreasonable, yet I still like them because they are a proof that I am improving. The proof that I do my best, I throw everything I have on them. By this, it is impossible that I dislike them.

My passion and great enjoyment for architecture, and the reason the older I get the more i enjoy it, is because I believe we- ARCHITECTS- can effect the quality of life of the people, Richard Rogers. I really like this quote as I strongly believe the way we design the building will influence the way people live inside, the way they think and act. We don't simply put a form on the building.We make them interact with human activity. Architecture is here for solving problems, improve our life quality. I believe I will face a lot of failures in my future but at the same time, I know I will find more passion in it and enjoy it.

I believe that the way people live can be directed a little by architecture by Tadao Ando.











Comments