SIMPLICITY - MY SENSE - CHIN YI HONG 1001542729



For this case study , I am going to select my Semester 3 's final design project . The project was about to design an art station within a boundary located at an area of Shah Alam . It had to be well designed according to the site analysis we had done which including weather , topography , building types , traffic and any others influences of the site .  

As far as I know , simplicity is more into obvious vision and emphasising the primary function needed within a building . It abandons the unnecessary parts and complicated details . In that project , I have learned about how to make a building become more functional and buildable instead of emphasising its aesthetic design . For my opinion , if a building is lack of functions and unbuildable , the more designs It has on it , the more obvious that it is superfluous .  


" MY SENSE "



As with the name of the art station I had chosen , I was using the five senses of architecture to design my building and the urban park . I had chosen rectangle to be my geometrical shape on arranging my plan .


The building plan was divided into rectangular pieces by using the design grid . Before we started our project , we had done a criteria matrix which showing the connections of the spaces being used . 

Vittorio Gregotti : " LOGIC IS EVIDENT IN ITS CONNECTIONS . "


As in my criteria matrix , I had separated the building into services part and exhibition part . One was private and another one was public . It conforms the characteristic of simplicity which expressed by Vittorio Gregotti . The services part including the storage , office is well-connected just like the exhibition part which including the exhibition space , multimedia room . The purpose of this arrangement is to give convenience to the guests and emphasis the importance of the function ( the exhibition spaces are all around the main part of the building and connecting the urban park ) . Thus , they are all conventional and organized .


It is well to be seen in the elevations too . West and South elevation are facing the primary road which is having the heaviest traffic ; East and North elevation are facing the secondary 
and the dormant road . Thus , I set my main entrance at West elevation to attract the passengers to pass by and all the services part such as loading bay is at East elevation . 





 "ALL ITS PARTS VOICE THEIR NECESSITY . "

As in the urban park , it is well-connected with the interior space , which is the exhibition space . It has even been designed by using the design grid which spread from the building itself . It is connecting the building with the neighborhood and attracting the people . 


" THERE IS STILL ALWAYS SOMETHING ESSENTIAL BEYOND WHAT HAS BEEN ORGANIZED . "

The initial decision of my design was to emphasis the function of the exhibition space but along with my further designs , I realize that the exhibition space is actually not the main part to attract people . Instead of emphasising the function of the exhibition space , I emphasized the function of the cafe and the urban park at last . They were not supposed to be essential but for the additional purposes , they have to be . 

In a nutshell , I would like to compose all the points I have put forward : " Simplicity is not simplification , and above all not simplification as a formal model . "













Comments