The Oases I Hope to be Met on my Architecture Journey - Chin Yi Hong 1001542729




Beginning of the Journey

I am going to answer this question with my own experience and feeling . I remember that when I was just graduated from secondary school , waiting for my UEC result (Unified Examination Certificate) , I was struggling for choosing what to study in university . I am not good at academic study , the only specialty I know is art drawing . Therefore , it is a common sense that I would definitely choose graphic design as my target . However , by considering the future , my opinion was rejected by my family members . They think graphic design is hard to afford livelihood . Thus , I was persuaded to try studying in architecture . 



Stumbling Stone on the Road

At the beginning of the course , things went smoothly than what I expected . It was the abstract drawings which I could handle . At that moment , I felt architecture was also something like art . However , when the things go deeper , I realize that architecture is not that simple . Yes , it is an art but still lack of other elements . Those elements are the key points to make this art stand out from 2d into 3d and that's why I encounter a bottleneck in my study . I can always conceive the abstract drawing but when it needs to transform into 3d , I will be stuck . I am always thinking of how to make the abstract drawing become 3d by considering the construction , ventilation , function , space planning & etc those general systematic and complicated factors . I have always overthought and at the end I end up with my limited knowledge and foresight , the form will finally be simplified , ever simpler than what I expected . That's what I am struggling in my study of architecture .





Kick Away the Stumbling Stone 

At this stage , semester 4 , I have never thought that I can pursuit my study in architecture as far as I have been . There is no way to go back and no regrets for what I have chosen . Thus , for now , what I am thinking is to enhance my study in this field . Back to the point , what do I wish I could or could have learnt in architecture in the last 4 semesters that would improve my understanding in architecture ? Be directed at my weaknesses and also to cover my shortage , I wish I could learn how to transform my abstract ideas into 3d forms by considering all necessary factors and not losing the initial concept . This is the biggest stumbling stone that I have met on my journey . 
However , besides this , I have also a lot of things wished to learn in my last 4 semesters . Those are the obstacles too blocking me to improve myself .

Model Making



Except the drawings and sketches , I would like to learn how to enhance my skill in model making , how can I make an interesting model by using different kinds of material . The reason is at this stage , I have been trying to use modeling board , pvc , balsa wood & etc those common materials to make the conceptual and actual models . In among these materials , the most I have used is modeling board . Of course , modeling board is necessary for model making , but for me , it lacks of the aesthetic effect . Another weakness of me is once I use a material to make the model , I will be kept using it in stead of using different materials . Thus , my models will always be immutably boring . I wish that I could learn some creative skills in order to improve the quality of the models .



Computer Program


Since semester 3 , we have started to learn a lot of computer programs . However , at the previous two semesters , all the drawings were manually completed . We have been trained how to enhance the manual drawings by learning design communication class . Displaying different lineweights by using different technique pens . Thus , to be honest , I have already accustomed to manual progress . However , there is good for us to learn these computer programs such as Autocad , Revit , 3dsMax & etc . There are disadvantages of using manual drawings . Compared to computer program , manual drawings are much more easier to be ruined such as being crumpled , disappeared and other reasons . Hence , I would like to improve my skills in using the programs which make things become more convenient . For now , I have always learnt the programs by using " Youtube " . It  spends many unnecessary times to watch the " teachers " showing steps by steps . More than that , sometimes I have spent hours to search for the " tutorial " , but at last nothing I get from the internet . Therefore , it would be pleasant if there are some " tuition classes " .


Site Visit


Instead of doing case studies by using computer and internet , I would rather spend the transportation fees on travelling to different places to feel the different architectures , cultures and designs . As far as I know , architecture is about sensation of human . It is about the five senses which include touch , see , smell , hear and taste . However , for now , we can only " see " the architecture on the internet by searching different pictures , webpages and articles . For what I wish is actually being in that place , using my own five senses to see the building , touch the materials , smell the air , hear the sound and taste its architecture . Therefore , in this topic , what I wish is instead of being trapped in " Angkasa Condominium " facing the computer and butter papers , I would rather to go different places to absorb what I will experience while being there .





Shorten the Distance to the Destination

Those are the stumbling stones I have met and the oases I hope to be met on my architecture journey . The journey is started and I am not going to look back . Keep walking and kick away the stumbling stones that block my way , I believe I will reach my destination at last . I can't promise that " architecture " is my final destination , but for this journey , for what I have experienced , it is worth .

Comments